Skip to Main Content

The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.

Coach Licensing In Maryland

Travel Head Coach Minimum Licensing Requirement

Do I need a license to coach travel soccer in Maryland?

Yes. MSYSA policy states that all head coaches of rostered travel teams in Maryland must hold the following minimum licenses or higher (including USSF E/D/C/B/A):

  • Introduction to Grassroots Module (online)
  • AND Two Grassroots in-person (GRIP) Licenses across any of the four levels (11v11, 9v9, 7v7, 4v4)
  • AND One Grassroots online License across any of the four levels (11v11, 9v9, 7v7, 4v4)

A certificate of attendance will not be accepted as a substitute for a coaching license. 

I have a coaching certification from a different organization. Does that meet the requirement?

Yes! The following equivalents meet the minimum requirement pending review from the MSYSA Technical Director:

  • USSF E + Introduction to Grassroots Module (online)
  • USSF F + Introduction to Grassroots License + two Grassroots in-person (GRIP) licenses
  • NSCAA Regional Diploma (Level V/VI) + Introduction to Grassroots Module (online) + one Grassroots online or Grassroots in-person (GRIP) License
  • United Soccer Coaches 11v11 Pre-National Diploma + Introduction to Grassroots Module + two other Grassroots in-person  Licenses across any of the four levels (11v11, 9v9, 7v7, 4v4)
  • United Soccer Coaches National Diploma + Introduction to Grassroots Module

I have an international license/certification. Does that meet the requirement?

Yes, foreign coaching licenses and certificates are accepted; however, the license must be submitted to the MSYSA Technical Director for validation.  Validation of foreign certificate/license does not award any license or complete prerequisites for USSF courses.  

Acceptable foreign coaching licenses or certificates:

  • FA Level 1 + online Introduction to Grassroots Module + online Grassroots Module 
  • FA Level 2 / UEFA C + online Introduction to Grassroots Module
  • FA Level 3 / UEFA B + online Introduction to Grassroots Module
  • UEFA  A + online Introduction to Grassroots Module
  • UEFA Pro + online Introduction to Grassroots Module

All other foreign licenses must be submitted for evaluation. 

Are there any exemptions?

Requests for a waiver will only be considered in certain circumstances:

  • There are no courses available prior to the teams first official game
  • There has been a change in coaching staff requiring a coach be rostered immediately so the team may continue playing

If they meet either of the criteria above, coaches may request a temporary waiver to the license requirement for the current season by completing the following steps:

  1. Fill out the Travel Coach Temporary Waiver Form; you will receive a receipt in your email after completing the form.
  2. Send the following items to the MSYSA Technical Director.
    • A copy of your Travel Coach Temporary Policy Waiver Form receipt.
    • A copy of your US Soccer online Grassroots Course License PDF (4v4, 7v7, 9v9 or 11v11). Registration is directly through the US Soccer Learning Center (LC). License PDF can be found in your LC profile. Online courses can be completed at home at your own convenience and cost $25. 
    • Confirmation of your first carded game date. This may be in the form of a link or screenshot. 

All head coaches must meet the minimum license or equivalent by the following season or deadline set by the MSYSA Technical Director. Head coaches who fail to meet this minimum requirement in the time frame allotted will not be permitted to appear on a team’s roster in any capacity until the minimums are met. 

Do assistant coaches on travel teams need a license?

No. Only the head coach is required to have a license to coach a travel team. We do however strongly encourage assistant coaches to pursue coaching education!